Chocolate, date and walnut cake (Gluten free)
Deliciously decadent but surprisingly low in fat! Perfect for a special occasion and ideal as a dessert.
Makes 1 x 24 cm cake
TIme to make 45 minutes
1. Preheat oven to 180C. Lightly oil a 24 cm springform tin.
2. Place dates, walnuts, cocoa and first measure of sugar into a food processor. Chop until mixture resembles breadcrumbs; transfer to a bowl
3. Separate the eggs; add the yolks and vanilla to the date mixture and beat whites to a meringue with the second measure of sugar. Fold the meringue mixture into the date mixture and transfer to the prepared tin
4. Bake for 35-40 minutes or until a skewer inserted comes out clean. Leave to cool in the tin for around 15 minutes before turning out; leave to cool completely
5. Spread with a thick layer of Greek yoghurt and decorate with some chopped dates and walnuts. Leave for at least several hours before serving
Note: this cake is best the next day as the yoghurt topping thickens up and becomes like cream cheese
Healthy habits – apply to other recipes
- base cakes around fruit and nuts
- Top with yoghurt instead of cream