Replacing cream with light evaporated milk and adding vegetables makes a much healthier but just as delicious version of this favourite dish
Time to make 30 minutes
330 mls light evaporated milk
100g lean bacon, cut into strips
1 onion, chopped
1 head of broccoli, cut into small pieces and lightly steamed/ boiled
1/4 cup fresh basil, chopped
1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
3/4 cup grated edam cheese
Freshly ground black pepper to taste
1/4 cup toasted flaked or slivered almonds
1. Cook pasta in a large saucepan of salted boiling water, until al dente (just soft); drain well and return to the saucepan.
2. While pasta is cooking, lightly spray a non-stick frypan with oil spray; saute the bacon and onion for a few minutes until soft. Lightly whisk together the milk and eggs; add to the pasta along with the bacon, onion and broccoli. Stir over medium heat until the egg mixture thickens and begins to set.
3. Stir in the basil and cheeses and season with pepper. Serve with a green salad.
Healthy habits – apply to other recipes
- Use light evaporated milk instead of cream; less fat
- use edam cheese instead of cheddar; less fat
- add vegetables; more fibre, vitamins and antioxidants