Caramel date muffins
These yummy muffins can also double up as sticky date pudding – simply warm and serve with a little maple syrup* and custard. They also work just as well using gluten free flour.
Time to make 40 minutes
Cooking oil spray
1 ½ cups chopped dates
1 ½ cups water
1 teaspoon vanilla essence
1 teaspoon baking soda
90 mls oil e.g. sunflower or canola
1/3 cup brown sugar
1 ½ cups plain flour (or gluten free flour)
3 teaspoons baking powder
½ cup chopped walnuts
1. Preheat oven to 180oC. Lightly spray 12-muffin tray with oil
2. Place dates with water into a small saucepan. Bring to the boil and simmer for 5 minutes. Add vanilla and baking soda. Leave to cool then add oil and egg; stir to combine
3. Sift flour and baking powder into a medium sized bowl; add sugar and walnuts then mix to combine. Add date mixture and mix well
4. Spoon into prepared muffin tray. Bake for 15 – 20 minutes or until muffins spring back when touched. Cool in tin for 5 minutes.
* The “Queen” brand of maple syrup is sugar free which means you won’t add kilojoules when using it. Watch quantity however, as it still reinforces a sweet taste.
Healthy habits – apply to other recipes
- Reduce fat by using date puree
- Use heart friendly margarine instead of butter
- Add walnuts – rich in omega 3 fats