Ginger and Almond biscotti
Great for Christmas and times when you feel like something sweet. Since they are cut so thinly and have no added fat, they hit the spot without bumping up the kilojoules. Wrap in cellophane for a delicious Christmas gift!
Makes around 36
Time to make around 1 1/2 hours
4 egg whites
½ cup caster sugar
3/4 cup plain flour
1/4 cup wholemeal flour
¾ cup unsalted whole almonds, with skins on
¾ cup glace ginger
1. Preheat oven at 170oC. Lightly oil a small loaf tin.
2. Beat egg whites until stiff peaks form; add sugar and continue beating until mixture is stiff and shiny
3. Fold in sifted flour, almonds and ginger, transfer to loaf tin and bake for 40 -50 minutes. Cool on cake cooler.Wrap in foil and stand for 3-5 days
4. Using a very sharp knife, slice very thinly. Place slices on oven tray and dry in oven at 130oC for about 20 -30 minutes.
Try using different fruit and nuts. Figs, cherries, apricots and glace pineapple all work well as do hazelnuts, brazils and pistachios.
- including nuts and fruit, adds fibre and extra nutrients
- including some wholemeal flour to increase fibre